Temporary Visas


Fiancé Visa

The K-1 visa, commonly known as the Fiancé Visa, is a temporary nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the United States to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of arrival. The K-1 visa is designed to facilitate the immigration process for engaged couples who plan to get married and live together in the United States.

To qualify for the K-1 visa, the petitioner (U.S. citizen) and the foreign fiancé(e) must meet certain requirements:

U.S. Citizenship: The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen, not a permanent resident or noncitizen national.

Intention to Marry: The petitioner and the foreign fiancé(e) must have a genuine intention to get married within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)’s arrival in the United States.

Valid Relationship: The couple must demonstrate a bona fide relationship and provide evidence of a genuine engagement, such as photographs together, correspondence, travel records, and other supporting documents.

Meeting in Person: The couple must have met in person within the two years preceding the visa application, with certain exceptions based on extreme hardship or cultural reasons.

The application process for the K-1 visa typically involves the following steps:

Petition: The U.S. citizen petitioner must file a Form I-129F petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This petition establishes the relationship and initiates the K-1 visa application process.

Approval and Visa Application: If the petition is approved, the case is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC), which will then transfer it to the U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign fiancé(e)’s home country. The foreign fiancé(e) must complete the visa application, attend an interview, and provide necessary documentation, including medical examination results and a police certificate.

Visa Issuance: If the visa application is approved, the foreign fiancé(e) will receive the K-1 visa and can travel to the United States. Once in the United States, the couple must get married within 90 days.

After getting married, the foreign spouse can apply for a Green Card (permanent residency) by filing an adjustment of status application with the USCIS. This process involves submitting additional forms, supporting documents, attending an interview, and undergoing medical and background checks.

It’s important to note that the K-1 visa is specific to the purpose of marrying a U.S. citizen and does not automatically grant permanent residency. The couple must follow the necessary steps to adjust status and pursue permanent residency.

Navigating the K-1 visa process can be complex, and it’s recommended to seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to ensure compliance with all legal requirements and maximize the chances of a successful visa application.

In conclusion, the K-1 visa is a temporary nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens to enter the United States for the purpose of getting married. By meeting the eligibility criteria, successfully completing the application process, and marrying within the designated time frame, couples can take the first step toward building a life together in the United States.