Frequently Asked Questions

Our team of highly qualified and experienced professionals has curated a selection of the most common questions we have received from our clients over the years. We cover a variety of topics, ranging from the different types of available visas to the specific requirements for each category.

USCIS stands for United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. It is an agency of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security responsible for administering immigration and naturalization services in the country. USCIS processes visa applications, work permits, green cards (permanent residence), naturalization applications, and other immigration-related processes. Its main function is to manage legal immigration processes, ensuring compliance with laws and regulations, and providing guidance to applicants throughout the process. USCIS conducts interviews, verifies documents, and makes decisions on immigration cases based on current laws and the information provided by applicants.

FOIA stands for “Freedom of Information Act.” It is a federal law in the United States that grants citizens the right to request and access government information that is not publicly available. In the context of immigration, FOIA can be used to request access to records and documents related to an individual’s immigration process, such as filed forms, case decisions, correspondences, and other relevant materials. This allows applicants to obtain information about the status of their applications and facilitates tracking their processes with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If your visa is denied, you can request a review of the decision or identify and correct any possible issues in your next application. It’s essential to understand the reasons for the denial and ensure that your documentation and information are accurate and complete to avoid future issues.


To check the status of your immigration process in the United States, you can visit the official USCIS website and use the receipt number provided when you submitted your application. The online tracking system will allow you to monitor the progress of your case and view updates on your status.

The allowed length of stay in the United States with a tourist visa varies depending on the specific type of visa that has been granted to you. Generally, the tourist visa, known as B-2, allows visitors to stay in the U.S. for an initial period of up to six months. However, the final decision on the duration of the stay is made by the immigration officer at the time of entry into the U.S. It is essential to note that if you wish to extend your stay, you will need to apply for an extension of your visa before the initial period expires.

A Green Card, or “United States Permanent Resident Card,” is a document that grants a foreign national the status of permanent resident in the United States. It allows the person to live and work legally in the country on a continuous basis.

There are various types of Green Cards, including those for family members, employees, refugees, asylees, and more. The category you should apply for depends on your individual situation and the reason for wanting to obtain the Green Card. An immigration attorney or the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) can provide guidance on the most appropriate category.

Basic requirements include having a valid basis for eligibility (such as a family relationship, employment, or refugee status), not having committed significant immigration violations, and being admissible to the United States.

The process varies depending on the category of Green Card, but typically involves the submission of a petition by a sponsor (or by the applicant in some cases), followed by filling out forms and providing relevant documents.

The processing time varies widely based on the type of Green Card and other factors. It can take anywhere from months to several years.

The required documents vary by category, but generally include completed forms, eligibility evidence, identification documents, and evidence of financial support (if applicable).

It is not always necessary to have a sponsor, but in many cases, especially for family members or employees, a sponsor is required. A sponsor can be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident who meets certain criteria.

Fees vary depending on the type of Green Card and may include petition filing fees, biometric fees, and processing fees.

A Green Card is initially valid for 10 years, but can be renewed indefinitely as long as the holder continues to meet the requirements of permanent residency.

Yes, a Green Card allows the holder to legally work in the United States and travel outside of the country and return freely.

To determine eligibility for an EB visa (employment-based immigrant visa), it’s important to consider factors such as professional experience, specific skills, and a job offer from an employer in the U.S.

The duration of the process to obtain a Green Card can vary significantly depending on the type of Green Card and individual factors. It can take anywhere from several months to several years.

Eligibility for a student visa in the United States varies depending on the type of course and the educational institution. Generally, students must be accepted by an approved educational institution, demonstrate financial means to cover the study costs, and show ties to their home country.

To apply for a student visa, you first need to be accepted by an educational institution in the United States. Then, you’ll need to pay the SEVIS fee, fill out the DS-160 form, schedule and attend an interview at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your country.

The processing time for a student visa can vary depending on the country and the demand at the time. Generally, it’s advisable to start the process a few months in advance.

The required documents for a student visa application include the SEVIS confirmation form, DS-160 form, valid passport, photo, proof of acceptance from the educational institution, financial proof, and evidence of ties to your home country.

F-1 visa students are allowed to work on-campus during the first academic year. After the first year, it’s possible to obtain authorization for off-campus paid work, provided certain requirements are met.

If you wish to change your course or institution, you’ll need to request a new SEVIS authorization and update your status. It’s important to follow the correct procedures to maintain the legality of your stay in the U.S.

To renew your student visa, you need to be enrolled full-time and maintain good academic standing. Additionally, it’s important to apply for renewal before the visa expiration date.

Yes, holders of a student visa can travel out of the United States and return during the visa’s validity period. It’s important to ensure all documents and authorizations are in order before traveling.

If your visa expires while you’re still studying in the United States, you can still legally stay in the country. However, you will need to renew the visa if you plan to travel out of the U.S. and return.

Yes, it’s possible to bring a spouse and minor children as dependents if you are studying with an F-1 visa. They can apply for F-2 visas to accompany you during the study period.

A tourist visa is a document that allows a foreigner to enter a country for purposes of leisure, visiting friends or relatives, medical treatment, participation in social or recreational events, among others. It does not allow for paid activities.

The requirements to apply for a tourist visa may vary depending on the destination country, but generally include presenting a valid passport, filling out the visa application form, providing proof of financial means for the stay, and demonstrating ties that ensure the return to the home country.

The processing time for obtaining a tourist visa can vary depending on the country and the type of visa being applied for. In some cases, it may take a few weeks, while in others it may be quicker.

The required documents for a tourist visa application typically include a valid passport, recent photo, completed application form, financial proof, accommodation proof, and travel itinerary.

Generally, tourist visas do not allow for paid work in the destination country. They are issued for the specific purpose of tourism and leisure activities.

The duration of the allowed stay with a tourist visa varies according to the laws of the destination country. It can range from a few days to several months, depending on local policies.

Not all countries allow for the renewal or extension of tourist visas. In exceptional cases, it may be possible to apply for an extension, but usually it is necessary to leave the country and apply for a new visa.

The fees associated with applying for a tourist visa include the visa processing fee, which varies depending on the destination country, and other fees such as consulate service fee, if applicable.

If you exceed the allowed stay period by the visa, you may be subject to penalties, such as fines or future entry bans to the country. It is important to respect the visa’s validity dates.

Yes, tourist visas generally have restrictions on the type of activities that can be undertaken. Paid work and long-term study are usually prohibited. Permitted activities are related to tourism and leisure.